Friday, August 22, 2008

What's wrong with me.

I went to the doctor yesterday. I thought he would tell me I have bronchitis or pneumonia. My chest hurt so bad on Wednesday night I could not even lie down. I had a cough that hurt and a stuffy nose. I got to the doctor about 8:45 or so. The receptionist tells me that he is too busy today and will not be able to see me. I was very persistent until she finally agreed to check with his nurse. She comes back and says "He will see you, but it is going to be a wait, cause he is already double booked." I said "That's fine."

I joined the ONE other patient in the waiting room and began my wait. Which turned out not to be so long cause I was actually in my car driving away at 10:58.

Before I let you know my results, here is my thought. I was sick. I was not jut coming in for a med check or something like that. I needed a doctor. Why would the book him so full that he would not be able to see real sick patients. I think slots should be intentionally left open for the sick people. I do not know days in advance that I will be sick.

On that note, I love my doctor. That's why I drove an hour away to see him. That and the fact that I do not trust doctors in this town.

Ok so I wait, then I walk the hall of shame to the scale, visit with the nurse, and wait.
Doc comes in listens to my symptoms, heart, lungs, ask some questions, makes a strange face. I say "You look a little perplexed." He says "I don't think you have and heart problems I think it may just be GERD, but I want some Xrays and and EKG to make sure."
I go around the corner to the lab. put on a paper jacket, get my XRAYS then go to the other room lay on the table and have a woman lift my boob to put wires on me. Then take my test results back to the nurse.
Doc comes in says everything is good. Just have GERD. WHAT??? I really thought I was sick. It is just heartburn what the heck? Now I feel like an idiot for not knowing the difference. He gave me some meds to help heal my esophagus and a zpack for my infection (I'm thinking sinus). I go back in 3 weeks for a followup. I made sure that I thanked him, the nurse and the receptionist for squeezing me in. I thanked the receptionist about 3 times and cracked some jokes so maybe she would think about how her rudeness was not affecting me.
Now that I know what is wrong my symptoms don't feel so bad. The whole GERD is not really even bothering me. Now it is just my nose and cough. Hopefully this zpack starts working soon. I have missed 3 days of work and the 2 days I did work only equal about 6 hours. My paycheck is going to stink.
School starts Monday so hopefully I will be feeling great by then.

0 comments: