Monday, March 24, 2008

For Montana

My Cousin passed away this weekend. I like the way my Aunt put it, He lost his on going battle with drugs. I have never had to endure the pain of losing someone close to me. Montana I have to say is the first. My mothers parents died when I was small, I can remember little things about them, and all the wonderful things my mother has told me. The fact that I have never been through it makes me not know how to handle it. I don't know how to feel, act or what to say when I hear of death.

I was at work when I found out. I was distracted which I think has been a good thing. Although I haven't seen Montana in a few years I think it was 2 years ago at a Family Christmas that I last saw him. I feel more sorrow than I thought I would. I think we were closer in our younger years than we have been in the last few. I babysat him and his little brother Kevin YEARS ago! I'm so old! I thought to make me feel a little better and as memorial to him I would blog my two favorite stories of him.

I was babysitting and I guess I had spent the night. In the morning Montana was eating a bowl of cereal and said "this doesn't taste right." I looked in the fridge at the milk and it had expired. Not by like a day but long enough that when I opened the lid I could smell the nasty milk without putting the jug to my nose. I said "uh the milk is bad, its not going to taste good." he said "oh I thought something was wrong with it."
(It has been a few years I may not be quoting right but you can get the just of it.) Thanks to Montana I always check the date on milk and I will not drink it if it is the day BEFORE the expiration date.

Story 2 actually make me look like a bad babysitter BUT just remember we were all ok in the end. The alarm on the house was set and I decided I wanted a hot dog. I still do not know why but when I hit start on the microwave the alarm went off. I don't remember who I called but I do remember that I did not click over to get the other line which was the alarm company calling for my secret code. Which then sent the signal for the police to come out. I was scared BIG TIME. I grabbed the fireplace utensils and gave one to each boy and had one boy in front of me and the other behind me. YES I was protecting myself....besides they were big boys. Also by doing that I knew where they both were. :) We began to walk through the house, just like in the horror movies before the killer comes out. Ends up no one is in the house. The police show up anyway. I open the door and explain that I'm not sure what happened but we are ok. (by this time I think I had called my Aunt and maybe they were coming home, I'm not sure again it is a little blurry. It is the old age.) I had put the fire pokers up or something cause I didn't want the police to think I was a complete Idiot. BUT I'm pretty sure it was Kevin who jumps out holding the poker and says to the police..."Yah I'm gonna get them I'm not scared." HA! Those boys are funny!

0 comments: