Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A not so normal day

A normal day at work consist of taking a prescription, typing it into the system then filling it by counting out the pills and having the pharmacist verify it then checking it out at the register. Of course there is just one person in each spot like a production line, but that is the way it goes.
WELL today I was able to do something that our pharmacy does not do often...Compound.

Compounding is where you mix drugs together to make another drug. Doctors write the prescription then it is made using what the doc writes. Of course you have to do all this math to know what and how much you give. Our pharmacy usually only compounds a mouthwash, diaper rash med. I guess just those two which I think the diaper med has only been done a few times and the mouthwash is actually pre-made and in a kit now.

Today I was trying to type in a prescription and realized there was not a suspension of this drug available and I asked our new pharmacist, who by the way is awesome. He said oh we have to make it and I was like WHAT??? HOW???

Well, he showed me and I got to make it. It is very simple. Yet it was so so fun cause I had not done it before. He said “This is the fun part of pharmacy.”

I crushed up the pills using this thing that I can not remember the name of. Then we mixed it with a suspension which then made it to where the child could take it. He added grape flavor and there it was. He said it is the worst tasting medicine ever.....and well it is! Ha!

I'm sure this is boring to everyone but to me it was the best day ever and makes me know that I do love what I do!

0 comments: