Monday, May 19, 2008

Helping others

This weekend I worked with a Pharmacist I have not worked with before. His name was Imeine (I was with him for 8 hours and never did figure out how to say it). He wore a hat, that turned out to be because he was and African chief from Nigeria. He was a nice man. I found out that he runs on the 3rd Saturday (maybe it was all weekend I don't remember) a free clinic in Paris. There are tons of volunteers that come and help out. They have Doctors and Nurses and such to help the poor. I thought it was such a great Idea and told him that I would like to come and volunteer. He said that they only allow Christians to work there. He said that they do not throw Jesus on the people that come to the clinic but that while they are in the waiting room there are people that come and talk to them about being saved.

I was so excited until that. I just want to help people. Which I guess in a way the whole religion thing is help also. He asked me if I was a Christian and I of course said yes, then he asked me what church I went to. I told him The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and waited for the words.."You are not Christian." He didn't say it he said do you go to church on Saturday, I said no Sunday. He said Oh I always get that church mixed up with the one that goes to church on Saturday. Nothing else was really said about the clinic after that. I don't know if it was me just not keen on preaching while attempting to help the poor, or him not liking my faith.

I did tell him I feel that it does not really matter what church you go to. The only thing that matters is that you are happy and that you love Jesus. That really is how I feel. I am very happy with my church I feel that it is true and is the best thing for me. Others may feel different and that is fine, I just want to have faith in God and do good things and I think we will all be ok in the end.

Ok so that was my little sermon. ha! I still want to help out at the clinic. Oh and one of the other Pharmacists that I work with also works for what use to be called FEMA but has a different name and said the team he is on is looking for Pharmacy Techs so I looked online found a team and emailed a lady to see about joining. Basically I just have my regular job, life, until a disaster then I go with my team to help. It sounds so fun!

0 comments: